For someone very dear to me who probably won't read this...and to anyone else who does read it, these are very wise words from Dawn Eden's blog:
Words to Love By
I have come to realize that, when I am on a date, one of the most appealing things that a man can possibly do is protect my chastity. It's a sign not only of the highest respect, but also of great personal strength, as in Proverbs 16:32: "[He that is] slow to anger [is] better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city."
These words that I just discovered on the Americans on Call Web site sum things up beautifully:
- Female sexuality is one of the most powerful forces in this world (the only one God uses to create life).
- It is a privilege that a man must earn by promising his life to her.
- THERE IS NOT ONE WOMAN IN THIS WORLD WHO DESERVES ANYTHING LESS THAN EVERYTHING A MAN HAS TO GIVE.
- She has lost something if she does not demand a commitment first.
- The measure of a man is how much he willingly gives of himself. (Our troops are an example of that.) A good man pays this price willingly, by putting a ring on her finger first--whether she demands it or not.
- Every day is a new opportunity to live up to this ideal.
If your best defense of a sinful situation (definition = pulling you away from God and/or you know it's not compatible with scripture) is that he's (or she's) a nice person, ask yourself if a nice person would put you in that situation.