Tuesday, December 07, 2004

What's a Christian to do about Sermon Lite preaching?

Jason at Theology Geek blog shares his experience in making the switch to a confessional Lutheran church. He also shares some of his doubts, which is a very honest thing to do.

The Lutherans have a wonderful theology and heritage that I am very thankful for. Furthermore, I know that even if the sermon is poor one week, I will still be able to confess my sins, receive absolution, and hear the gospel. Not to mention, I can get my fill of good theology from Luther and from others. However, what my mind keeps coming to is what about the theology that is given from the pulpit? Is it going to be watered-down? Is it going to be constrained by the boundaries of political correctness, and seeker-sensitivity?

I know Jason would never hear anything watered-down from the pulpit of my church, God-willing, but maybe I won't always live near a church with three really great pastors. Jason is on the right track when he reminds himself that, at a confessional Lutheran church, he will always be able to confess his sins, receive absolution and hear the gospel proclaimed.

2 comments:

ConradGempf said...

Yo! The pulpit isn't the only place you get your theology from. In fact, it ain't about theology at all. Jason is confusing teaching with preaching!

TKls2myhrt said...

Maybe so. I think we should be encouraging Jason in his efforts, not parsing terminology. He's a work in progress, not a completed work. He has many years to learn these things. I never knew many common Christian terms UNTIL attending a confessional Lutheran church: justification, arminian, pelagian, confessional, etc. Those terms are now helpful, but often fall on deaf ears to evangelicals. Funny thing is, my 12 and 15 year old kids in Lutheran schools know these terms and can explain them.