Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want



Lately, I've been listening to a hauntingly beautiful song from The Dream Academy's album, Somewhere in the Sun. I went to great length's to get the song on my iPod. The song was never released in the U.S., so I bought a CD on eBay from someone in London and waited to receive it in the mail. How quaint and yet thoroughly modern.

My favorite cut's title is somewhat embarrassing to me: please please please let me get what I want. Why is it embarrassing to me? Well, for obvious and very grown up reasons, right? I mean, we know that adults aren't supposed to go around begging and demanding like children to get their wishes granted by someone more in charge than they are. We NEVER say things like, "Oh, PLEASE let me get what I want!" aloud, do we? I think, if we are honest, most of us admit to at least thinking like that once in a while. On another level, I've been wondering if it is scriptural for me to ask God, "Please let me get what I want." It could be a prayer. The sentiment certainly is honest and probably echoes many people's thoughts, especially those of us who've suffered more often than not in our lives.

Sinners that we are by nature, we have no right to expect anything from God, let alone that he should hear and answer the requests we make of him. But through the atoning work of Jesus, we have received full access to the “throne of grace” (Hebrews 4:16). To pray on the basis of who Jesus is and what he has done for us is to “pray in Jesus name.”

When we pray in Jesus’ name, God not only promises to hear us; Jesus says that we will actually receive whatever we ask (John 16:23, Matthew 7:7-11, Matthew 21:22). Of course, we will leave it to God in his wisdom to decide exactly when and how to answer us. Sometimes his answer appears not to match our request exactly. But even then we always receive more and better things than we ask for. Jesus’ promise is always kept.

For us Christians, the problem is never a lack of willingness to hear us on God’s part. At times, however, it is inattention to prayer on our part, or a weak and shaky confidence that God really does hear and answer (Luke 18:8). The rich promises that God attaches to prayer in his Word will strengthen our confidence and move us to pray confidently and often. (From WELS.net)


According to Wikipedia...

Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want was a cover version recorded in 1984 by The Dream Academy. The instrumental version of the song is the better known cover version, since it was used in the film Ferris Bueller's Day Off (during the Art Gallery scene) along with "The Edge of Forever". The single wasn't originally included in their debut album, The Dream Academy but later appeared on the compilation album, Somewhere in the Sun... Best of the Dream Academy.
The art gallery scene in the movie has long been one of my favorite movie scenes. I think the music had much to do with it, along with the wonderful art pieces at my favorite art museum, The Art Institute of Chicago. Time and money aside, I would spend one day a month in that museum...for the rest of my time on earth....with this song playing on my iPod:

"Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want"

Good times for a change.
See the luck I've had
Would make a good man turn bad.
So please, please, please
Let me, let me, let me
Let me get what I want...
This time.

Haven't had a dream in a long time.
See, the life I've had would make a good man bad.
So for once in my life
Let me get what I want.
Lord knows it would be the first time.

Watch the Music video on YouTube

No comments: