Sunday, March 27, 2005

I know that my Redeemer lives!

Job 19: 25 - 27

I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.
And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;
I myself will see him
with my own eyes-I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!

Our Easter Sunday sermon was on this passage from the book of Job. We had already sung the triumphant hymn, I Know That My Redeemer Lives. Our pastor aptly commented how we don't say"Good luck on judgement day!" to each other, but "I know my Redeemer lives." Here is a summary of his excellent message to us.

All of us need a redeemer. Our sin nature reminds us of it every day. Jesus is who He says He is. He has redeemed us. Believe it! The joy of Easter is not a rememberance of a historical event, an Easter egg hunt or getting new Easter outfits; the joy of Easter is found in my own salvation. Sure, we all have doubts at times, especially in times of trouble. Job was going through trouble that most of us will never experience and yet he was able to say, "I know that my redeemer lives...and I myself will see him with my own eyes." I will trust in God to sustain my faith to always be ready to say what Job said in the face of torment.

Repent of your sins, rejoice that you have a redeemer and join with Job in saying:

"I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes-I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!"

I know that my Redeemer lives!

I know that my Redeemer lives!
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, he lives, who once was dead;
He lives, my ever living head!

He lives triumphant from the grave;
He lives eternally to save;
He lives exalted, throned above;
He lives to rule his Church in love.

He lives to grant me rich supply;
He lives to guide me with his eye;
He lives to comfort me when faint;
He lives to hear my soul’s complaint.

He lives to silence all my fears;
He lives to wipe away my tears;
He lives to calm my troubled heart;
He lives all blessings to impart.

He lives to bless me with his love;
He lives to plead for me above;
He lives my hungry soul to feed;
He lives to help in time of need.

He lives, my kind, wise, heavenly friend;
He lives and loves me to the end;
He lives, and while he lives, I’ll sing;
He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King!

He lives and grants me daily breath;
He lives, and I shall conquer death;
He lives my mansion to prepare;
He lives to bring me safely there.

He lives, all glory to his name!
He lives, my savior, still the same;
What joy this blest assurance gives:I
know that my Redeemer lives!

Hymn # 351 from Evangelical Lutheran Hymnary
Author: attr. John Hatton
Tune: Duke Street
1st Published in: 1775

2 comments:

Paul McCain said...

Theresa, I would send this via e-mail, but I don't have an address for you. I posted more data about the painting on my BLOG site. Thanks for your questions. I should do a better job giving information about the paintings I post on my BLOG site. The "secret" to finding such paintings is Google's image search function. It is amazing.

A blessed Eastertide to you and yours.

Paul McCain said...

Theresa, I would send this via e-mail, but I don't have an address for you. I posted more data about the painting on my BLOG site. Thanks for your questions. I should do a better job giving information about the paintings I post on my BLOG site. The "secret" to finding such paintings is Google's image search function. It is amazing.

A blessed Eastertide to you and yours.