Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Mattworks: How Can Water Do Such Great Things?

Matt of Mattworks blog posts his thoughts on his baptism:

It is certainly not the water that does such things, but God's word which is in and with the water, and faith which trusts this word used with the water.

For without God's word the water is just plain water and not baptism. But with this word it is baptism. God's word makes it a washing through which God graciously forgives our sin and grants us rebirth and a new life through the Holy Spirit.

23 years ago today I was granted that rebirth and a new life through the Holy Spirit.

A lot of people don't dig infant baptism. They don't think that babies should be "subjected" to baptism until they're ready to "accept" God themselves.

Even at the tender age of 19 days, I didn't want God in my life. I hated him and wanted nothing to do with him. How do I know this? Babies can't think for themselves, right? Not right. We're sinful from birth and I'm grateful for my baptismal rebirth. I trust in the God's promise in his word that baptism really does forgives sins and gives faith. Read on...

No comments: