Saturday, November 12, 2005

Guess who said this...


On his way home...he visited his daughter and son-in-law...on Sunday morning, July 1st, he attended the services at the church when his granddaughter was confirmed. On retiring to his bedroom that evening he asked for a Bible and apparently seemed well and strong. About midnight he became ill and soon realized that death was approaching. Retaining consciousness to the last, he said to those about him: "

Greet my congregations! Greet the brethren!" Turning again in prayer to the Savior, he said, "O Lord Jesus, I am a great sinner, but thou art a merciful Savior. Help me, Lord Jesus! Lord Jesus Christ, my Savior blest, my hope and salvation!"

Then he recited these words from the hymn:

I have Thy Word,
Christ Jesus, Lord,
Thou never wilt forsake me;
This will I plead in time of need:
O help with speed,
when troubles overtake me!"

A few moments later he died peacefully at the age of 69 years. He was buried on Friday, July 6, 1894. His body was laid to rest beside that of his wife in the Spring Prairie cemetary, Keyser, Wisconsin.

No comments: