Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Facebook and church fellowship

I had the opportunity to hear a sermon by an ELCA pastor this past Sunday. This church is home to my brother's family. My nieces and nephews hear the gospel preached in this church and I am thankful for it. Still, my synod and their synod are not in altar fellowship. I did not join them in holy communion and I did not join in the prayers. I sang the hymns I knew and confessed our agreement in the Apostle's Creed. I was happy to know that my godson, a confirmand on that day, knew the saving gospel of Jesus Christ. I was curious, to say the least, to hear the pastor's sermon for that special day. His sermon title: Remembering and Responding. How did he start? Yep, with a Facebook story. He told a story about finding an old friend on Facebook and renewing the friendship. I'm pretty sure he figured he would draw in the confirmands with the mere mention of Facebook and he was probably right. In his story, he made a very clear point about fellowship...a point that I don't think he intended to make. In fact, I'm probably the only one who drew that point. He was commenting on how you become friends on Facebook and how it is a somewhat safe platform because two people become friends based an agreement. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who saw the irony in his Facebook story. Agreement on Facebook is important. AND... church fellowship - agreement on what scripture teaches - is also very important.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I have heard so many bad sermons by ELCA pastors. (in my opinion most of'em don't have a clue)

But I have also heard the best sermons I've ever heard in my life from an ELCA pastor.(my current pastor)
(check this one out)
http://lightofthemaster.com/Faith.html

Funny how a church can have so many rotten apples and then have the sweetest of the bunch, also.

The sweet ones are fading away fast I'm sorry to say.