Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Issues, Etc. inteviews Ted Haggard


I listened today to Pastor Wilken interview Ted Haggard on Issues, Etc. Unbelievable! Right off the bat, he eliminates Lutherans from his definition of evangelical because of their stance on one's ability to ask Jesus into one's heart. If I had nothing better to do, I would make a list of every false statement he makes. My list would be very long, but I don't want to give the man any more attention. Here is my short list:

  • The Willow Creek movement was God speaking to his people
  • Os Guiness is a prophet naming things of which some are guilty
One good thing he said was that in his pastoring of 11,000 souls in Colorado, only about 30 had asked him for a doctrinal statement. He went on to say that this is not good and that it is a strong indicator that people today choose their church by how it makes them feel and not on its teachings. He rightly said that this practice leaves people open to heresy.

4 comments:

One Salient Oversight said...

I've heard that Haggard is an open theist too. I wrote part of the Wikipedia article about the guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Haggard

TKls2myhrt said...

Did you listen to the interview? His comments are stunning, to say the least.

Bob Waters said...

In the sense in which the term is used in America, we are not "Evangelicals," for the very reason this bozo mentioned, among others. Nor would I want to be.

In fact, I wish to disassociate myself with American "Evangelicals" in every way possible. Of course, they do not deserve that name. But trying to claim it and deny it to them is a losing proposition in this culture.

Nevertheless, in my opinion "Evangelicalism-" in the American sense- is the absolute antithesis of Lutheranism and of biblical Christianity. It's a heresy, and we need to be very plain in pronouncing it as such.

CPA said...

Given what his doctrine is, I guess we ought to give thanks that only 30 people in his church of 10,000 care about it!