Friday, September 09, 2005

Is God angry?

Following up on the children's Bible discussion, I've had these thoughts...

Regarding the concept of God being angry at sin and the undeserved gospel of grace, that certainly played a big part in my eventual desparation of American Evangelicalism. I could sense God's wrath and knew of his wrath through his Word; my knowledge of my sin nature rose above me like a towering giant and I knew I would never be good enough for God (let alone my fellow Christians). I had certainly heard part of the gospel, but since it was always tied in with my requirements, it was never really "good news". Simultaneously, my old ELCA mega-church was rapidly changing to reformed teachings and I couldn't stay any longer. The summer I spent meeting with a confessional lutheran pastor and going over what the Bible truly teaches about God, sin and salvation was life-altering and faith-saving.

The problem I am having as the parent of teenagers is how to help them realize their sin nature in typical teen behavior without driving them away from me. I fall back easily on the evangelical-God-playing model by thinking it is my job to make them aware every time they sin and to make them believe. I've got one who is very aware, but one who appears not make the connection between being sinful and being forgiven. I keep bringing them to the Word and fight myself off in trusting the Holy Spirit's presence in proclaiming God's Word. God save my children from me (said with tongue in cheek)!

1 comment:

Chaz said...

Related to your question, I think this post is worth the reading...