Monday, November 22, 2004

Introducing Beggars All blog

There is yet another confessional lutheran blog in the blogosphere. Please check out Beggars All. It is written by three men, Rob, Mike, Karl. They explain their joint blogging purpose:

1. The name of this blog is "Beggars All", which is an allusion to the last words of Martin Luther: "Wir sind Bettler, das ist war!" ("We are beggars all. That is true.") In what ways can you and I say, with Luther, "That is true!"

2. Then let's outline our own strange experiences with American Evangelicalism. Why have we both been made, by God's grace, Evangelical refugees?

Please read My Father's Day by Rob. It is a very touching story of father and son. (warning: strong kleenex/crying at work alert!). Mike writes an interesting commentary on the Navigators and his experiences with them. Also read, Does the Church have a Sanctuary?. I think Karl must manage the commentaries.

Beggars All was recently highlighted in Bunnie Diehl's blog, as an Ablaze story of the week, and prompted numerous comments by her readers.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Theresa,
I read the links to the posts by Mike. OH my gosh, don't you just want to leap through the internet with a copy of the book of Concord and a biography of Martin Luther??? This man needs the Gospel, and he thinks there's something wrong with him for needing it!!

What can we do??? Pray, pray pray.

Mary

TKls2myhrt said...

Mike wrote: "It was a similar type of attack (ironically from a Nav brother) that was the last card pulled that caused my whole house of evangelical cards to come crashing down.

We had lived a life of hell in a Cairo slum for a year. We had a small son who had been off and on on his death bed for months and we were forbidden to take him to any doctor except for an Egyptian one, who had no clue what he was doing.

In the midst of this nightmare I sent out a newsletter to our donors soliciting their prayers. I had been trained by the Navs never to show weakness in a news letter, no matter how bad things get . . . you pretend things are going great, because “no donor wants to give to a looser.” In this newsletter I slipped. Daniel's life seemed to hang by a thread at times. Denise and I were exhausted. I used the word “cope.” I asked for prayer that we could cope in the face of some great difficulties.

A nav brother wrote me a very stern warning in response (a spear tossed across the sea). From his comfortable, middle class home in the states, he penned, “You used the word 'cope.' You're in sin, and you don't have your eyes on Jesus, because Christians don't just cope, they are victorious!”

Before I put that letter down that March day in Cairo, before my very eyes, I saw all of my Christian world crumbling around me. It was like the virtual world of the Matrix coming apart and collapsing downward piece by piece, pixel by pixel or the curtain on Wizard of Oz being pulled back by the dog and revealing a pudgy, balding little man."

What often bothers me is that I have read this story so many times- different names, groups, situations, etc - but the story is the same: You're in sin, and you don't have your eyes on Jesus, because Christians don't just cope, they are victorious!” IF YOU WERE REALLY LIVING IN CHRIST, YOU WOULD BE LIVING VICTORIOUSLY. That message destroys lives of good Christian people. We must get the word out that grace means grace; works follow out of love and humility.

Theresa