Thursday, November 04, 2004

Speaking the truth in love...

Since discovering the confessional Lutheran approach to faith in Christ, so many of my lingering questions have been answered. Not all my questions, but a lot of them.

Questions that have been answered

Why don't I become a more perfect Christian the longer I am a Christian? When is my child old enough or ready enough to be baptized? Or, how do I know I am really a good enough Christian to enter heaven? Why do the children of really great Christian parents totally reject Christianity? Why do I need to listen to CCM to keep myself emotionally connected to God? Why do seemingly solid, years-strong Christians fall the hardest into sin? Why is so and so an alcoholic or drug addict when s/he has been a Christian for so many years? Why don't I speak in tongues? Why do people get cancer and die? Why is a child killed in a car accident? What is a sacrament? How could Holy Baptism create faith in an infant? How can Holy Communion strengthen my faith? I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture...

I tell you the truth that it took 22 years for me to find a church that had the answers to these questions.

Have I discovered a secret sect? Have I joined an isolationist cult? No! I just finally found a church that teaches I am a sinner living in a sinful world, permanently separated from God and incapable of saving myself. My church tells me that God loves me so much that He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die in my place, so that I could live forever in heaven with Him. I could go on and on, but I think you've heard this story....

1 comment:

ghp said...

Ah, but it's such a good story, Theresa! ;^)

Keep telling it, and keep hearing it, each & every day.

-ghp