Tuesday, January 04, 2005

How to teach our children

In response to a post by Bunnie Diehl on the capability of young children to learn deep scriptural truths, I am featuring an article that I have long linked to: Reforming Youth Ministry, written David Fields featured on Modern Reformation. My favorite quote from this article:

"Don't be afraid to teach the doctrines of the faith. Our students are capable of handling more than we give them credit for. They are at a point in their life where they want to "question" life. Let's give them biblical truths to deal with. Let them wrestle and search the scriptures for answers to their questions. We must all be sure we are properly equipping those in our ministry. Our young believers crave the nourishment of God's Word so they may grow (1 Pt 2:2). Give it to them! Paul says "Woe is me if I do not preach the Gospel!" (1 Cor 9:16)"

Thankfully, this is the approach of my kids' schools (Lutheran) and our church confirmation program. It's tough learning and all the kids meet the challenge! Besides, most of us adults can use the refresher as we help our kids with the work. I am so thankful, also, for Luther's Small Catechism. It has been a valuable teaching tool for us as parents.

No comments: