Friday, January 21, 2005

Brutally Honest: What Am I?

Through Intolerant Elle and the Christian Carnival, I found a blog called Brutally Honest. I was very intrigued by his post, What Am I?. In this post, Rick considers whether to let others place the label of evangelical on him. Here is half the post, as a teaser:

Joe Carter has started a "church directory" of sorts. A list of bloggers who consider themselves evangelicals and want that information out in the 'sphere."

" ?sphere.
I graduated from obnoxious evangelicalism nearly 15 years ago to something somewhat less so as I "matured in the faith" and my obnoxiousness whittled away at my... "effectiveness".
I'm a different person today. I've not "evangelized" anyone in the more traditional sense in... well... let's say a very long time...


When I saw Joe's post, I considered adding Brutally Honest to the list. I mean, it'd be another way to publicize the blog and perhaps get more traffic this way.

But the more I thought about it, the more I thought it might be dishonest of me. I'm no longer sure that I can claim to be an evangelical. Oh, I'm certainly a believer in Christ, and I think more people ought to be believers, but I can't say that I'm as... enamored... with pursuing others, with "getting them saved", with "bringing people to Christ".

I'm now more and more convinced that this notion is... I dunno... for me, a bit silly. It may not be for others. I'm open to that. But for me, it seems to be something I will no longer do.Yes, to my evangelical friends, this is... heretical to some I'm sure.


Sounds like another evangelical refugee to me. I am am posting this here in hopes that he will find it and find our group of evangelical refugees. He can start with What Is An Evangelical? and Beggars All. Hope he finds that there are many others out there like himself.

No comments: