Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Book tag response

Bunnie Diehl has tagged me! Good thing I already had this post written because my friend, Suzi of Swansmith had already tagged me. So, I untag myself twice with one post. I’ve combined the tags. I've bolded the answers to Bunnie's tag.

Number of books I own:

Let me think… Each room has a minimum of 25 to 50 books, plus another 200 hundred in various places around the house. I’m guessing about 1000. This would demonstrate that I am a book nut. Like my friend Suzi, I have a hard time parting with anything with a written word on it. So that makes me part book nut and part would-be pack rat! I say “would-be” because, thankfully, a married a very non pack-rat person. I would also guess, very safely, that I have given away an equal number of books to the thrift store in my lifetime. I also frequent the church library and love to check out really old doctrine and church history books.

Anxiously awaiting in the mail:

Concordia: The Lutheran Confessions-A Reader's Edition of the Book of Concord

Currently reading (I tend to read several books at a time!)

Sanctification by Harold L. Senkbeil

The Lord Will Answer: A Daily Prayer Catechism

Where in the world is God? By Harold L. Senkbeil

Paul: Ambassador of Peace by Jon D. Buchholz

The Reformation Era: A short history of the Reformation by N.S. Tjernagel

Remembering Tim Horton by Craig MacInnis

Grace for Grace – the first 90 years of the Norwegian Synod (1853-1943 and 1918 – 1943) by S.C.Ylvisaker, Chr. Anderson and G.O.Lillegard.

Last book I read:

Deconstructing Evangelicalism by D.G. Hartthis book confirmed my suspicion that I had been a very shallow evangelical and is an important book to me, especially because it WASN'T written from a lutheran perspective.

Books that have meant a lot to me:

God’s Holy Word – the Bible

Evangelical Lutheran Hymnary

Luther’s Small Catechism

A good dictionary – I have several and we can’t play scrabble without one

The Defense Never Rests by Craig Parton – made me realize my experience in American Christianity was not unique and gave me one of those wonderful, “Hey, I’m not alone on the planet” feelings – this book didn’t change the way I see the world, but it confirmed my change as not unique. This book is important because it gave me confidence that I wasn’t going crazy.

What’s Going on Among the Lutherans? By Patsy A. Leppien and J. Kincaid Smith this book is also important in helping me understand the history of the Christian church in layman's terms.

The People’s Bible Series by Northwestern Publishing House – invaluable bible commentaries

Mamornitz: A History of a Ukrainian Pioneer Community in Saskatechewan, 1900 to 2000 by Jennie Zayachowski - this book is important in helping me understand why my ancestors moved halfway around the world and what they faced. I owe them my freedom.

Directory of Essential Oils by Wanda Sellar – invaluable aid for understanding essential oils.

Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child – treated many a simple childhood illness

Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Balch and Balch

The Educated Child by William J. Bennett – empowered me to be my children’s first teacher

Peekaboo! by Matthew Price and Jean Claverie – my daughter’s first book

Sleep Sound in Jesus (book and CD) – I memorized these songs and sang them every night to my son for at least three years.

The Science Game: an introduction to research in the behavioral science by Neil Agnew and Sandra Pyle – helped me understand statistics and studies, especially how findings can be manufactured and manipulated to suit agendas

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

A Wrinkle in Time (and following books) by Madeleine L’Engle

Minnesota: A History of the State by Theodore C. Blegen – helped me realize how cool Minnesota history is


Prized books:

The Acorn – my grandfather’s Coe College (Iowa) yearbooks from 1930, 1931 and 1932

My complete collection of Mary Engelbreit Home Companion magazines

My great-grandmother Viets’ family bible

Embarrassing Book:

The Disciplines of a Beautiful Woman by Anne Ortlund - never did become the perfect woman she was.


Now, who to tag? These are my picks:

This is hard because I can think of so many people whose libraries I would love a glimpse into:

Devona Brazier

Terrie Rosas

Margery Punnett

Thanks to Suzi at Swansmith for tagging me the first time and Bunnie Diehl for tagging me again!

1 comment:

Devona said...

Go ahead, Tag me!

It'll be fun to reveal our embarrassing books for sure. Being the recent converts that we are, we've gotten some great "christian" literature as gifts.