Sunday, October 02, 2005

Guess who I met today...


I met the author of a book that brought me to the Evangelical Lutheran Synod. Pastor J. Kincaid Smith, ELS pastor and co-author of What's Going On Among the Lutherans, attended Pastor David Russow's commissioning service today. I had stared at his photo on the back of his book for so long, often wondering if he were still alive; it was easy for me to recognize him! I was able to be introduced by another pastor after the service and I fought back the tears as I thanked him for writing the book. He was being pulled in different directions by others who wanted to say hello and photographers wanting to document the day, but he seemed genuinely interested in someone asking him about the book. He told me that Marvin Schwan funded the book's distribution to all Lutheran pastors in all synods across the country. He also told me that he received a variety of responses from those pastors, good and bad. If you have read the book, you can imagine that some ELCA pastors did not appreciate his work. One ELCA pastor told him that as soon as he finished writing his letter of complaint and criticism, he would drop the book down the outhouse hole! I asked him if he had considered updating the book and he said that he had and that he decided against it. We would have talked longer, but the time was not right.

1 comment:

Scottius Maximus said...

"I asked him if he had considered updating the book and he said that he had and that he decided against it."

I'm glad you asked that question of this man. Having read this excellent discourse 3 years ago, I remember wondering if this book had or would get updated (not that it necessarily needs it).

That answers my question. Thank you.